Saturday, January 8, 2011

NELSON'S BIBLICAL CYCLOPEDIC INDEX

I'm taking a break from my normal fiction book reviews to offer my thoughts on Nelson's Biblical Cyclopedic Index, which is labeled as the best Bible subject index.

When I study Scripture, I enjoy keeping a Bible dictionary, encyclopedia, concordance, and handbook nearby. This book combines many of those resources into one guide. This reference book includes more than 8,000 subjects, names, places, concepts, events, and doctrines, and includes 300 word studies.

For example, this morning I was studying the word "know" from a Bible verse. The cyclopedic index listed the word as one if its word studies, identifying the Hebrew translation and its meaning. Nice. It helped me dig a little deeper.

In addition, I was studying the word "path." The index listed various subheadings for path and where to find correlating scripture references. Subheadings included path of the wicked, path of believers, path of righteousness, and path of the Lord.

Obviously, this cyclopedic index is not exhaustive. Scripture references only offer one correlating verse, regardless of how many references there may be in the Bible associated with that subject.

Path
A. of the wicked:
Brought to nothing........Job 6:18
Becomes dark.................Job 24:13
Is crooked.......................Is. 59:8
(and so on)

For anyone seeking new ways to study scripture, prepare lessons, or write sermons, this small, compact book could be a good place to start. For anyone wanting to really dig deep, keep your Bible dictionary, encyclopedia, and concordance nearby. Overall, this is a nice resource to have in my library.

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson publishes as part of their blogger review program. I am not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use and Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment