Sunday, December 26, 2010

POSSESSION by Rene Gutteridge

I remember being glued to the TV in October 2002 when people in the Washington D.C. area were randomly being murdered by snipers. The story was both captivating because of its mystery and level of grief. Thus, when I came across this book that weaved a fictional story through these actual events, I was intrigued.

Vance, a former police officer who worked the D.C. sniper case, leaves the department and travels across the country to escape the past. He hopes this new beginning will help save his marriage and help him move past the horror of October 2002. However, when the men driving the moving van hold Vance's belongings for ransom, Vance senses that something deeper is at work, and it's a dark secret in his past that is hunting him down. Suddenly it's not about his possessions. It's about protecting his family from evil. Murder, mystery, and chaos follow.

Possession kept me turning the pages as I wondered what would happen. I enjoyed the thriller but found myself frustrated that it took so long to reveal the secret in Vance's past. By the time it was revealed, it almost felt like a let down because of all the prior hype. The ending also felt too easy.

Rene Gutteridge's Possession is a story with a great plot line but didn't live up to my expectations.

3 out of 5

I received this book free from Tyndale Publishing as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment