Sunday, August 1, 2010

JUNE BUG by Chris Fabry

It's rare for me to find a book that captures my attention with a single sentence:

I believed everything my daddy told me until I walked into Walmart and saw my picture on a poster.

And it's even more rare for me to find a book that not only lives up to its potential but also surpasses my expectations. It's books like June Bug that touch my heart and remind me why I love a good story.

For as far back as she can remember, June Bug has driven around the country in an RV with her dad. There's never a destination, only an adventure to where the road leads. At night they park at Walmart. During one stop at Wally World, June Bug pauses to look at the Missing Children posters hanging at the entrance. To her astonishment, she sees a girl named Natalie who looks just like her. This discovery starts June Bug on a journey of discovery and truth. If this man in the RV is not her father, who is he? And where is her family? From the very beginning, this book captured my imagination. I fell in love with the characters, cared for them, and felt their joy and pain.

This is the second book I've read by Chris Fabry. Last year, Dogwood mesmerized me and became one of my favorite books of all time. I liked this one even more. And I'm not the only one. This book was nominated for a Christy Award this year. I read about 25 fiction books a year. This is the first one I've rated a 5 out of 5 in the past three years. I can't wait to read Fabry's newest book coming out this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment