Friday, July 16, 2010

SAME KIND OF DIFFERENT AS ME by Ron Hall and Denver Moore


This is one of the best books I've read in the past few years. It's message cuts straight to the heart, and I've found myself thinking again and again about the story and its remarkable true characters.

Denver Moore grew up picking cotton in literal slavery. In the 1960s, he hid on a train and escaped his life of misery, only to adopt the life of a homeless man on the Texas streets. He was alone, and the world had turned its back on him. And then a woman named Deborah walked into his life. She and her husband, Ron, were a wealthy couple that had recently begun serving at the local homeless mission. Denver tried to reject Deborah's efforts to befriend him, but she wouldn't take no for an answer. What followed is the story of a remarkable friendship, and how three people from different worlds discovered that they had more in common than they realized, and just how much they needed each other.

This true story strips life down to Christ's words in action: love your neighbor as yourself. Over the past few years, I've been praying to live a life in close connection to God in a moment-by-moment relationship. I loved reading about Denver's relationship with God and how close they were and how clearly Denver heard from God.

Sometimes we get so caught up in our own lives we miss the plights of those around us, and we are so busy finding ourselves that we close our eyes to the lost and hurting. This book convicted my heart and is making me reevaluate my priorities.

Highly recommended. 4.5 out of 5.

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson publishers as part of their Blogger Review Program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

No comments:

Post a Comment