Saturday, June 13, 2009

DOGWOOD by Chris Fabry

THE SUMMARY: This is the story of a small town’s pain that has lasted more than a decade, the tragic death of two young girls involved in a car accident. It’s the story of a young man sent to prison. It’s the story of a young woman struggling with a burden that is buried deeper than she knows. It’s the story of a brother haunted with guilt too heavy. It’s the story of an elderly woman who can see through past wounds and bring truth into the darkest of circumstances. It’s the story of sacrifice and love.

THE MESSAGE: The message of the book can’t be shared without giving away its secrets. But it’s about deep love, forgiveness, and facing the truth.

THE PRESENTATION: Each chapter is told from one of four different perspectives. It’s not hard to follow the character jumps, but the reader does need to be aware. Also, much of the story is shrouded in mystery, so it takes a little time to put some of the pieces together to follow what is happening. It’s a captivating read, and one that caught my imagination and wouldn’t let go.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I thought I’d figured out how the story would end. Some of it I got right, however, there were a few twists that took my breath away. It made me go back and reread a number of chapters, and I wonder how my perspective of the book would change now that I see the entire picture. It’s definitely one I feel I need to reread to fully appreciate. And I’ve found that my thoughts continue to return to the book and its message. Very powerful.

THE RECOMMENDATION: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment